- Creating Zip Files on Mac. You will see an empty Untitled.zip file in the WinZip window. Drag your files into the WinZip window. Click Add and choose the location of your files form the drop down (from your Mac, iCloud Drive or cloud services). In the Finder drop down window, choose folders, files or both.
- IZip is a free powerful archiving utility designed specifically for Mac. Easily manage ZIP and RAR files directly from the OS X Finder. Open and securely share ZIP, encrypted ZIP and RAR plus other compressed file formats.
- Open the existing packages or select one or multiple files and generate an archive in standard formats like ZIP or RAR. Assign a name to the package, view its content, add or extract separate items. Our software library provides a free download of WinRAR 6.02 for Mac.
7-Zip is free software to pack and unpack 7z or other zipped archives, also it builds in some useful features to work on packages. While, to open a 7z file on Mac, a tool that works equivalently to 7-Zip is needed. Is 7-Zip available for Mac version and are there any good 7-Zip alternatives on Mac? You will find the answers in this article.
7-Zip for macOS — Download Best File Archiver for Mac By Yolanda Shelton. Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020 Download 7-Zip for MacOS. 7Zip is a great app that should be included on iTunes. Download 10 ZIP RAR Archiver.
Is 7-Zip Available for Mac?
As you may have visited the official website of 7-Zip, this program can work on Windows 10/8/7/ Vista / XP / 2016 / 2012 / 2008 / 2003 / 2000 / NT. Also, there is a version designed for Linux, Ubuntu and other systems---the p7zip. But unfortunately, there is no Mac version of 7-Zip.
So, if there is any saying about 7-Zip for Mac, it is not true. But it is true that there are so many alternatives to 7-Zip on Mac that can work as outstandingly as 7-Zip.
5 Best 7-Zip Alternatives for Mac
#1. Cisdem Unarchiver---The Best 7-Zip Alternative Mac
If you are looking for a full-featured 7-Zip alternative, Cisdem Unarchiver is a good option. Cisdem Unarchiver is the Mac Unarchiver and archiver to batch compress files, preview the contents inside archives and unzip (entirely or partially) archive files on Mac. It has an excellent support on packing and unpacking formats.
Why BettterUnarchiver is the Best 7-Zip Alternative?
- Unarchive Zip, 7z, Rar, ISO, Tar, Cab, Wim, XZ, CHM, Com, Hfs, Nsis, Udf
- Archive to Zip, 7z and Tar
- Preview contents before unzip
- Extract from encrypted archives
- Encrypt zipped files
- Entirely or partially unzip files
- Batch zip or unzip files
How to Use Cisdem Unarchiver for Mac?
Step 1Download and install Cisdem Unarchiver on your Mac
Step 2Import archives for unzipping on mac
Click Add button to import files for unzipping, then click “Extract” to save files from the archives to preferred location.
Step 3Compress files to archives
To compress files to archives, click on iPack and add files, then click “Compress” to zip selected files into archives.
#2. The Unarchiver
The Unarchiver is a free utility to extract files from archives, but is able to unzip files only. This program is probably the one supporting the most archive formats, it support 14 popular archive formats, 19 old formats and other 10 unusual formats. Also, you cannot preview the contents in the archives before extraction.
Main Features of The Unarchiver
- Supports Zip, Tar-GZip, Tar-BZip2, RAR, 7z, LhA, StuffIt, EXE, ISO and total 40+ archive formats
- Open certain archives with the program by default
- Customize extraction: the location, create new folder or not, set modified date, move the archive to trash after extraction
- Set as defaulted viewer to open and extract files from archives
- Support 40+ archive formats
- No GUI
- Extract files from archives only
- Cannot preview files on archives
- No extended features
Keka is a free archive utility to zip and unzip files into different formats. It is extremely easy to use, you just need to drag and drop files or archives to the program for packing or unpacking. Even, you can split the archive into several fixed-capacity archives for easy sharing. When the zipping or unzipping finish, you will get a notification from Keka.
Main Features of Keka
- Archive files to 7z, ZIP, TAR, GZIP, BZIP2, XZ, LZIP, DMG, ISO
- Extract files from 7z, ZIP, TAR, RAR and total 24 archives
- Split archives
- Drag & Drop to extract or create archives
- Easy to use
- Support extract files from 24 archive formats
- Add password to created archives
- No GUI
- Cannot preview contents in archives
- No extended features
- Large installer size
7-Zip VS Keka VS Unarchiver
For the reason that many users are taking much interest into Keka and The Unarchiver when looking for a good 7-Zip alternative on mac, here we have a brief comparison on these 3 archive utilities.
|Support Archive||Support Unarchive||Extended Features|
|7-Zip||Yes (7 formats)||Yes (31 formats)||Encrypt, manage file, support 87 languages|
|Keka||Yes (9 formats)||Yes (24 formats)||Encrypt, split|
|The Unarchiver||No||Yes (40 formats)||None|
#4. Winzip 7 mac
Winzip 7 for mac is a rich-featured utility to zip and unzip files on mac. Though it doesn’t support as many archive formats as other 7-zip alternatives, it offers multiple functions to manage and customize archives. You can encrypt, resize photos, convert photos, add watermark, send archives via email and share anywhere.
Main Features of Winzip 7 Mac
- Unarchive files like Zip, Zipx, RAR, LHA, 7Z, JAR, WAR and 12 formats
- Archive files into Zip or LHA
- Encrypt files
- Offer basic editing features: resize and convert photos, add watermark
- Send files via email or share anywhere (iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, ZipShare, etc.)
- Both zip and unzip files
- Preview contents in zipped files
- Allow to edit and customize zipped files
- Encrypt files
- Easily share anywhere
Zip Viewer Mac Free
- High price
- Relatively large installer size
#5. iZip for Mac
iZip is another utility to zip and unzip several archive formats, including Zip, Zipx, RAR, TAR, TAR.GZ and 7Zip. It is extremely easy to use, you just need to drag and drop the archives to the program, then a folder with unzipped files will be created.
Main Features of iZip for Mac
1. Unarchive documents in Zip, Zipx, RAR, TAR, TAR.GZ and 7Zip
2. Zip files into Zipx archive
3. Compress and encrypt archives
- Easy to use
- Batch support
- Limited input and output formats
- Limited features
Extended: What is 7z Format?
7z is the new archive format, providing high compression ratio. 7z has open architecture, so it can support any new compression methods.
The main features of 7z format:
- Open architecture
- High compression ratio
- Strong AES-256 encryption
- Ability of using any compression, conversion or encryption method
- Supporting files with sizes up to 16000000000 GB
- Unicode file names
- Solid compressing
- Archive headers compressing
Though there is no 7-Zip for mac version, the above-listed 5 7-Zip alternative on mac all are good choices to open a 7Zip or other zipped files on mac. If you are looking for a tool with extended features to work on different archives, Cisdem Unarchiver is worth a try.2 file types use the .zip file extension.
- 1.Zipped File
- 2.MAME Game ROM
File Type 1Zipped File
- 7-Zip for macOS — Download Best File Archiver for Mac By Yolanda Shelton. Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020 Download 7-Zip for MacOS. 7Zip is a great app that should be included on iTunes.
- Download 10 ZIP RAR Archiver. Free Windows utility program to quickly compact and extract data from common compressed file formats.
Creating a ZIP File. To make a ZIP file in Windows, right-click the files and/or folders that should be in the archive and then choose Send to Compressed (zipped) folder. To zip up files/folders in macOS, right-click them and select Compress Items from the menu to make an Archive.zip file.
What is a ZIP file?
A ZIP file is an archive that contains one or more files compressed or 'zipped' using Zip compression. It stores files separately from each other allowing the files to be compressed using different methods and extracted without compressing or decompressing the entire archive.
The Zip format was created in 1989 by Phil Katz and was used in the PKZIP utility developed by PKWARE, Inc. The format grew in popularity and is now supported by most file compression/decompression programs.
You may encounter ZIP files in a variety of ways, such as receiving compressed files via email from a friend or co-worker, downloading files online, or exploring backup files that have been compressed with Zip compression. Both Windows and macOS come with programs that can compress and decompress ZIP files.
How do I open a ZIP file?
In Windows, you can open a ZIP file with File Explorer, also known as 'Windows Explorer,' simply by double-clicking the file. You can then choose one, multiple, or all of the files to extract from the Zip archive. In macOS, you can open a ZIP file with Apple Archive Utility by double-clicking the file.
How do I create a ZIP file?
Windows users can create ZIP archives by right-clicking a file and selecting 'Send to → Compressed (zipped) Folder.' macOS users can create ZIP archives by right-clicking a file and selecting 'Compress [filename].'
New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip - The name Microsoft Windows gives to new ZIP files created via the context menu (right-click and choose New → Compressed (zipped) Folder).
Zip File Opener Mac FreeOpen and view .ZIP files with File Viewer Plus.
Programs that open ZIP files
File Type 2MAME Game ROM
|Developer||The MAME Team|
.ZIP File Association 2
Game file used by MAME arcade video game emulators; may contain the entire contents of the arcade game data, or may be supplemented by .CHD arcade hard disk file, which is required in order to play the game; stored in a compressed .ZIP format.
MAME ROMs are sometimes difficult to load properly due to file format and emulation software differences. Therefore, some emulators are distributed with a tool that verifies whether a ROM can be loaded or not.
Programs that open ZIP files
Download 7-Zip for MacOS. 7Zip is a great app that should be included on iTunes. As productivity is a concern on all Apple devices, the development of 7Zip would be a great delight for all its users. I mean, why not? It is the most powerful and secure archiving and file compression tool in its category and field. For more resources about 7Zip for other operating systems, check out our other articles on 7Zip.
Macos Open Zip File
So, you are one of the opulent citizens of the society or perhaps meticulous with the software and security, thus, you prefer using Mac computers. As a matter of fact, some programs and software for Windows, Linux, and for Mac are programmed differently. This goes the same with 7Zip for Mac.
By default, Mac OS X is incapable of handling these files. But this shouldn’t be much of an issue as there are lots of other archiving tools available that can open a .7z file and other file compression formats.
The 7Zip file format is considered a better file compression format because of its high security and overall stability. It 7Zip can compress any file much better than ZIP and WinRAR or WinZip. This makes 7Zip safer and a much better choice.
- 1 A Walkthrough on 7-Zip for Mac
- 1.1 Reminder
A Walkthrough on 7-Zip for Mac
Keep on reading as we are going to walk you through on the steps for opening .7z archive files regardless of what version of Mac OS you are using. Don’t worry, it is easy and quick to do even it gets an error cannot open a file as archive sometimes. Here’s how it goes.
- Download “The Unarchiver” first. The latest version is 4.2.2 and support macOS 10.7 or later. the file is 13.6 MB. You can either download it from the Mac App Store or click here for direct download.
- The app is relatively small so you should be able to get it installed for a few seconds depending on your internet speed.
- As soon as The Unarchiver app finishes installing, open it and you will see the file association list.
- Launch the Unarchiver and there you’ll find the file association list, inform the Unarchiver to associate it with .7z files.
- The moment that you’ve associated the Unarchiver with .7z you could then double-click any .7z file on your Mac computer. It will then open and uncompress like other archive format or launch Unarchiver and just drag and drop the 7z files to the utility.
This is everything that you have to know in opening any .7z archive files saved on your Mac computer. After installing the UnArchiver and associated it with .7z 7Zip files, you may now launch the .7z archive simply by double-clicking on it. Inside the UnArchiver utility, your file will open and decompress the original 7z file. It will exit the app automatically when it is finished. It is possible to directly open the Unarchiver and open the file in the Unarchiver directly where it’ll be extracted.
Since 7Zip archives have undergone a strong compression procedure, it sometimes takes a while in order to completely extract large 7z files. Don’t be surprised as well if the 7Zip has expanded to something bigger than the original file size as the size of the archive. This is totally normal. Just be sure that you have enough disk space to accommodate all the uncompressed data.
Unarchiver is a well-known solution to all kinds of archive formats available on Mac. It’s been discussed as an alternative when you have to unRAR and open RAR files in Mac OS and it can open virtually any archive format you might come across. This can include but not limited to:
- bzip and;
Due to its expansive nature and free of charge, it is a wonderful addition to your Mac software toolkit. Well, it is comparable to a Swiss army knife but for computers.
Macos Zip File Cli
The Complete Package
Mac Os Zip File
The Unarchiver provides support to every release of the Mac OS software that’s in use. This is regardless if you’re using the latest release, Sierra, macOS High Sierra, Mac OS X El Capitan, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Snow Leopard, Yosemite, and so forth. It’ll work and can get the job done in opening and decompressing zip as well as other archive formats available.