Safari might be the default browser on macOS, but this doesn’t stop Mac users from using the Google Chrome browser. A lot of users prefer using Google Chrome over other browsers because of its wide range of features, compatibility, and an extensive collection of plugins. Google Chrome works well with most major platforms and it is easy to install the browser.
Browsers Chrome Macbook Pro tutorial TV Streaming media on the small screen of your laptop can sometimes take a lot away from your experience. Especially when you have an HD LED TV lying idle just across the couch. Aug 05, 2019 Remove the Google Chrome download for Mac from the Downloads folder by dragging it to the Trash Now that you know how to download Google Chrome, you might want to make Chrome default browser on Mac. To do this, simply open it and click the three dots in the top-right corner, followed by Settings, then in the Default Browser section click Make.
However, some Mac users have experienced issues with using Google Chrome on their Macs. According to reports, Google Chrome won’t open on macOS Catalina. After installing the browser on Catalina, the Chrome browser won’t launch for some reason. Double-clicking the icon does not open the browser, nor does it elicit any reaction. There is also no error message to indicate something is wrong with the app. It just does nothing.
This can be frustrating because you have no idea what went wrong or what to do about it. Users always have the option to use another web browser on Mac, such as Firefox or Safari, but those who rely on Chrome-only features and extensions might find it difficult to switch to another browser.
So, what do you do when Chrome won’t open on Mac? This guide will show you what steps to take when the Chrome browser you installed is completely unresponsive and won’t start no matter what you do. We’ll also list some alternatives to Google Chrome in case you don’t want the hassle of troubleshooting the issue.
Pro Tip: Scan your Mac for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Why is Google Chrome Not Opening on Mac?
It can be baffling when the app you just installed won’t open, despite following the correct installation instructions. Well, it happens. And you’re not alone.
If Chrome refuses to launch, it might be because the downloaded installer was incomplete or corrupted. If the download process was interrupted, probably due to poor internet connection or other factors, the installation would be incomplete. It is also possible that the app doesn’t have sufficient permission to be able to run. You should also check the Chrome app’s settings to see if it has been configured correctly.
Another factor you need to consider is the presence of malware. Malicious software can cause various problems on your Mac, including apps failing to launch.
How to Fix When Chrome Won’t Open
If you can’t get your Chrome web browser to open, you need to make sure first that you followed the right procedure in installing the app. If you’re not sure, you can always delete the app and reinstall it again. To delete the app, just go to Finder > Go > Applications, then look for the Google Chrome icon. Drag the icon to the Trash to uninstall it.
After uninstalling, follow the steps below carefully to install a new copy of the Chrome browser:
- Go to the Google Chrome website by clicking this link.
- The website will automatically detect the platform you are using and offer you the link to the Chrome version compatible with your OS.
- Click the Download Chrome for Mac button.
- Wait for the download to be completed. The file should be around 83MB in size and the filename should be googlechrome.dmg.
- Click the downloaded installer to launch it.
- Drag the Chrome icon to the Applications folder.
Once the Chrome app has been installed, click on the icon to try and open it. If there are no issues with the installation, the browser should open just fine.
If you still can’t open the app, try some of these basic troubleshooting steps:
Download Chrome For Pc
- Restart your Mac and try booting into Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode, try launching the app to see if it works. If it does, there must be a third-party process getting in the way of the Chrome app.
- Clean up your computer using a Mac cleaning software to ensure that no rogue file is causing the problem.
- You should also check if the problem affects Google Chrome alone or if there are other apps experiencing the same issue.
If the above steps didn’t help, you can try the following fixes:
Solution #1: Change the Permission Settings.
- Open Finder or click anywhere on the Desktop.
- Hold down the Shift + Command combination on the keyboard, then press G.
- A new window will pop up. Copy and paste the following path in the box: ~/Library/Application Support
- Click Go.
- Next, look for a folder named Google.
- Right-click on the folder, then choose Get Info.
- In the Get Info window, click on the lock icon on the bottom right of the window.
- Type in your login password, then press Enter.
- Click the Add (+) button at the bottom left.
- Choose Administrators from the dropdown menu, then click Select.
- You should now be able to see admin under the Name column.
- Under Privilege, change Read-only to Read & Write.
Close the window and try launching Google Chrome again. You should now have enough permissions to use the app.
Solution #2: Delete the Chrome App’s System Files.
Download Chrome For Windows 7
If changing the permissions and reinstalling the Chrome app does not help, you should remove the system files first after uninstalling the app. To delete the system files, you can follow the steps below:
- Open a Finder window on your Mac.
- Click Go from the top menu, then select Go to Folder from the dropdown.
- Type this in the search field: ~/Library/Application Support.
- In the new window that opens, look for the Google folder.
- Open the Google folder and drag all its contents to the Trash.
- Go back to Finder > Go > Go to Folder.
- Type in this folder path: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome.
- Select everything inside that folder and drag them all to the Trash to delete them.
If you don’t want to go through all these folders, you can use commands instead. Go to Finder > Go > Applications, then click on Terminal. Type in the following command to delete all Google Chrome files:
sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome
Once completed, Google Chrome should have been completely deleted from your Mac. You can now install a fresh copy using the steps outlined earlier.
Take note that this troubleshooting guide can also apply to other apps on your Mac that fail to open or load properly. Instead of looking for the Google, look for the folder associated with the app you’re having trouble with. You can also edit the command on Solution #2 to reflect the correct folder. Doing the above steps should help you get the Chrome app working again on your Mac.
Netflix is a giant in the industry of streaming services and has maintained that position for a long time. Windows users along with mobile platforms enjoy the Netflix Application, the ability to download and stream at one’s own convenience. This definitely has brought up the question for many MacOS users: Is Netflix available for Mac? Is there an application? How do I download from Netflix on Mac?
All these questions, along with how to use and download from Netflix on your MacOS will be answered in this article.
- 1 Netflix for Mac (Everything You Need to Know)
- 1.3 How to Download Netflix Content on Mac
Netflix for Mac (Everything You Need to Know)
Here’s everything you should be knowing about this.
Is the Netflix App Available for Mac?
Sadly, no. For unknown reasons, Netflix does not have a desktop application for MacOS, even though it has an application for Windows, Android, and iOS. This means that to stream Netflix Content, you will have to visit netflix.com on any of the following browsers. Here is a list of the supported browsers with the streaming quality:
- Google Chrome up to 720p
- Mozilla Firefox up to 720p
- Opera up to 720p
- Safari up to 1080p
How to Use Netflix on MacOS
To use Netflix on your Mac, open any of the supported browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari Browsers.
- In the Web browser, visit netflix.com.
- Select the Sign In Option on the top right corner
- Enter your Credentials
Should I Download Chrome On My Macbook Pro
That’s it! Start using Netflix for your Mac and stream any available content you want!
How to Download Netflix Content on Mac
There are tons of websites claiming to provide the Netflix Application for your Mac and that you can easily download Netflix content. However, most of these Netflix Apps for Mac are infested with malware and will harm your Mac instead of actually helping you download Netflix content for Mac. Thus, there is no straightforward way with which you can download movies and shows from Netflix and watch.
However, here we have compiled 3 methods that you can use if you are really desperate to watch downloaded content for Netflix on your Mac. Let’s get started!
1. Download Windows on Your Mac
Since Netflix is available for Windows, you can download Windows on your Mac, run it and install the Netflix app there to watch the downloaded content. It may be a bit tedious, but if you really want to download Content from Netflix, it works.
Boot Camp is a tool present in MacOS that can help you install Windows for your Mac. Here is a full guide on How to Run Windows on Mac.
- Once Windows has been installed, you can visit the Windows Store and Search for the Netflix App
- Get the Netflix App from Windows Store, and then log in to start using and Downloading from Netflix!
2. Using Other iOS/Android Device: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch
Since Netflix App is not available for your Mac, to download and stream content you can use your mobile devices such as the iPhone, iPad, or an Android Device that supports the Netflix application. You can easily download content from Netflix on any of these platforms and stream them using a casting service.
This is a pretty simple method to download and watch Netflix content on your Mac, even though it may not be as convenient as downloading on your Mac computer itself.
3. Using Screen Capture
Although Netflix is taking measures to prevent users from, it is a risky method, but one that you can take to download Netflix content. Basically, all you require is a Screen Capture software for your Mac, and stream the entire movie/TV Show.
Recording Netflix content, however, come with huge risks as capturing and keeping it yourself might still be fine, but distributing the downloaded content with others is illegal.
We would advise against this, but if you really want the downloaded content from Netflix for Mac, you can do this.
Popular Screen Capture Software for Mac
Here’s a list of some Screen Capture applications that you can use on your Mac while capturing from Netflix:
- OBS Studio
- QuickTime Player
If you want other software, you can find them on the internet. These software help you download content from Netflix on Mac.
Even though Netflix is not available as an application for Macbook (yet), you can stream it using the Netflix website very easily. As for downloading content, that might be a bit of discomfort to Mac users, but we have provided the best possible ways for you to do that. If you have any queries regarding the information or methods described above, you can drop us a comment below and we’ll do our best to get back to you with a relevant answer.
Keep on reading more interesting articles on our website.