To get the latest features and maintain the security, stability, compatibility, and performance of your Mac, it's important to keep your software up to date. Apple recommends that you always use the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
Os X El Capitan Install No Disk
Jun 08, 2015 Another alternative install on a 2006/2007 Mac Pro is to use a second El Capitan-supported Mac and install El Capitan to the 2006/2007 Mac Pro's drive. This may be done either by attaching the 2006/2007 Mac Pro's drive as an external drive by placing the 2006/2007 Mac Pro in target disk mode or otherwise mounting the 2006/2007 Mac Pro's drive. Step-by-step instructions to install Avast Premium Security on Windows PC and Mac. Apple Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan). 750 MB free space on the hard disk. Download: OS X El Capitan This downloads as a disk image named InstallMacOSX.dmg. On a Mac that is compatible with El Capitan, open the disk image and run the installer within, named InstallMacOSX.pkg. It installs an app named Install OS X El Capitan into your Applications folder. The El Capitan installer displays the default target for the installation. If it is correct, select Install. If it isn't correct, select Show All Disks and select the correct target disk. Enter your administrator password and select OK.
Learn how to upgrade to macOS Big Sur, the latest version of macOS.
The version of macOS that came with your Mac is the earliest version it can use. For example, if your Mac came with macOS Big Sur, it will not accept installation of macOS Catalina or earlier.
If a macOS can't be used on your Mac, the App Store or installer will let you know. For example, it might say that it's not compatible with this device or is too old to be opened on this version of macOS. To confirm compatibility before downloading, check the minimum hardware requirements:
- macOS Catalina 10.15 hardware requirements
- macOS Mojave 10.14 hardware requirements
- macOS High Sierra 10.13 hardware requirements
- macOS Sierra 10.12 hardware requirements
- OS X El Capitan 10.11 hardware requirements
- OS X Yosemite 10.10 hardware requirements
Download macOS using Safari on your Mac
Safari uses these links to find the old installers in the App Store. After downloading from the App Store, the installer opens automatically.
- macOS Catalina 10.15 can upgrade Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks
- macOS Mojave 10.14 can upgrade High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion
- macOS High Sierra 10.13 can upgrade Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion
Safari downloads the following older installers as a disk image named InstallOS.dmg or InstallMacOSX.dmg. Open the disk image, then open the .pkg installer inside the disk image. It installs an app named Install [Version Name]. Open that app from your Applications folder to begin installing the operating system.
- macOS Sierra 10.12 can upgrade El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion
- OS X El Capitan 10.11 can upgrade Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard
- OS X Yosemite 10.10can upgrade Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard
On this page:
El Capitan Install Disk
- Reinstall El Capitan on a computer alreadyrunning it
Upgrade from previous versions to OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
- From the Apple menu, select App Store....
- When the App Store opens, search for and download El Capitan. If you don't already have an Apple ID, you'll need to create one. You can monitor the download process in the 'Purchased' section of the App Store.
- Once the download is complete, the installer should automatically open.
If it doesn't, or you don't want to complete the installation at this time, you can come back later and double-click Install OS X El Capitan in your
Within the installer, click Continue, agree to the license agreement, and then choose the disk where you want to install El Capitan.
After you begin the installation, your computer may need to restart more than once before finishing, and then you may be asked to enter basic information.
- From the Apple menu, select App Store..., and then install any available updates.
Mac Os X El Capitan Install Disk
Reinstall El Capitan on a computer already running it
Reinstall while keeping files, applications, and settings
- Restart your computer, and immediately hold down
command-runtil the gray Apple logo appears.
- If prompted, select your main language and then click the arrow.
- Click Reinstall OS X, and then Continue. Follow the instructions on the screen, and then choose your hard disk. Click Install, and enter your Apple ID information if prompted.
- When the installation is complete, select App Store... from the Apple menu, and install any available updates.
Reinstall while erasing everything on your computer
Restart your computer, and immediately hold down
command-runtil the gray Apple logo appears.
- If you see a screen asking you to select your main language, choose it, and then click the arrow.
- Click Disk Utility, and then Continue.
- In Disk Utility:
- Click your hard disk in the left column, and then click the Erase tab.
- Next to 'Format:', make sure OS X Extended (Journaled) is selected. In the 'Name:' field, give your disk a name. Click Erase.
- Once it's completed, quit Disk Utility.
- Click Reinstall OS X, and then Continue:
- Follow the instructions on the screen, and then choose your hard disk.
- Click Install. If prompted, enter your Apple ID information.
- Once the installation is complete, you'll be asked to enter basic information, and have the option to transfer data from another computer or backup.
- From the Apple menu, select App Store, and then install any available updates.